Sunday 24 April 2011

A Day of Working in the Sun, and Being a Bit Too Philosophical...

So... I'm struggling quite a bit about what to write...

I haven't exactly had the most eventful of days, but I feel that if I don't write something now, I'll probably just abandon this whole blogging thing altogether!

I was outside doing some work earlier in the back garden, and I was trying my best to concentrate. I was being disturbed by some children who were playing football on the road next to mine. They were screaming, shouting, running about and even singing a bit of Adele to go with it!

I'll admit it, I was really trying to concentrate on questions from an exam paper that's basically the hardest thing I've ever done (revision for the GAMSAT exam), and I kept on getting distracted. To top it all off, one of my next door neighbours was outside, cutting something, making quite a few clicking noises, which wound me up even more! And then, to doubly top it all off, my other next door neighbour was shouting at his Xbox! (Yes, he really does do that!)

But then, instead of getting really angry and just giving up on my work, I found myself concentrating even harder, which in turn had a calming affect on me. Surprisingly. So, all in all, I had a bit of a chuckle to myself when I heard this little boy, probably about seven or something, singing 'Someone Like You' by Adele when he scored a goal! (Not the most apt choice of celebratory songs to be honest!)

In fact, he even started singing the national anthem for a little while, but didn't know most of the words, so ended up humming most of it! (Bless him!)

It was a bit like an epiphany, really. A small one, admittedly. But I just thought, "What's the point in getting angry?" Seriously, what is the point in shouting the odds at someone? Those kids, and my neighbours, were obviously enjoying themselves, so what would be the point of me screaming at them to shut up? (which I did feel like doing at first!) If I did do that, it would ruin their day for them. Why ruin their day, when I can just keep my mouth shut? Grin and bear it, and just persevere?

Another thing that I saw today had a profound impact on me. I was shopping in town, and I saw two parents arguing in the street, it was a petty argument about the fact that they were staying at home tonight. The dad didn't want to have a night in front of the TV, whereas the mum was clearly content with that idea. But instead of thrashing out their petty differences in private, away from their child, they decided to argue in the middle of town, right over their toddler's pram.

As clichéd as it sounds, it was the child I felt sorry for.

It's not even like it was a massive, life-changing thing that they were arguing about! Yet the father saw fit to use a range of expletives right over the child's head. I was only walking past them, and I heard so many 'F' words, I was shocked, and it takes quite a lot to do that!

It's just, I can't help but think that when that child grows up, it's going to think that that behaviour is perfectly acceptable in society.

It's not though.

Call me a snob, call me whatever you like, but I don't think it's acceptable to go around with such a lack of pride.

I do care about what people think about me.

They clearly don't. Isn't that the problem with society nowadays, though?

People just don't care.

They just don't care about anything.


They've given up on themselves.

It's a sad fact of life, something we all just have to get used to, I guess. Unfortunately.

It's like society is being segregated into those who do care, and can be bothered to better themselves and work hard and...
The growing minority, who don't care at all, who can't be bothered to get out of bed before midday, and who've never cared about working hard. (I'm not talking about students here by the way!)

I don't want to lecture, and I don't want to take the moral high ground.

I'm not better than anybody else in this world.

It's just worrying that people go around in life acting like they're better than everyone else, and then you get the others, who've never been given a chance, who notice this, and believe that people are better than them too.
They believe that they can't better themselves, so question why they should bother.

It's one of two extremes with people nowadays. Those who think they're better than everyone, and those who think that they're nowhere near good enough for anything. Although maybe I'm just generalising and exaggerating. Who knows?

It's hard not to mention The Jeremy Kyle Show here, because so many people who haven't cared about their actions and the consequences, end up in such a mess. A mess so big, that they think one man and his 'after care team' are the last resort for sorting things out for them.
How is airing your dirty laundry in public helping?
Surely it doesn't. Surely it just makes things worse? It's got to, hasn't it?

Why can't people keep things to themselves? Can't they just see that other people don't want to be embroiled in their disagreements? Don't people think about what's best for their children any more?

Anyway, for saying I was struggling, I've managed to ramble on for what feels like forever! So enough of that and of me trying to put the world to rights!

Until next time! (Which will hopefully be less of a rant!)