Thursday 9 February 2012

King's College Open Day!

So, so sorry for neglecting my blog like this!
Last summer, I went to an open day at King's College London... As the title says.



To be honest, I'd never really been to that area of London, and I didn't even know whether it was Guy's Hospital or King's College Hospital that I had to go to. Turns out, after following the map, that it was Guy's after all.

It absolutely threw it down on the day, which usually equals a very bad hair day for a certain frizzy-haired wannabe medic.


My soaked umbrella!

When we got there, I was impressed by the exterior of the buildings. But, to be honest, it's what's inside that counts, isn't it? However, I liked the inside too.


The Campus

We had an introduction talk, in which my phone loudly went off... Embarrassing...

We then went to a Pathology lecture with the prestigious Professor Sebastian Lucas, which I thoroughly enjoyed! 
Although I wish someone would have warned me that there was going to be slide in the presentation with a picture of diarrhoea with blood on it!
It was kind of a good job that I didn't have time for lunch beforehand!

We then got separated for tours, which mainly consisted of walking around the interesting Gordon Musuem:

Which might have been better if our tour guide hadn't walked off without us.
Still don't know where she got to...

And probably would have been even better if I hadn't have walked, loudly, straight in to a metal bin, in a room where I was surrounded by silent, revising medical students... Yet again, embarrassing...

But, for the remainder of our tour, we joined another group, most of whom were sixteen or seventeen year olds with great innocence and faith in themselves. That's the thing about being a prospective Graduate Medicine entrant, you feel a bit inadequate when faced with all these fresh faced geniuses... Or maybe that's just me.


Even though we got separated from our tour guide, it really isn't every day that you get to walk around a place and see pictures of dead bodies in the process of decomposition, or get to see actual craniopagus siamese twins pickling away in a jar...

We then went to get a free drink and snack, where my Dad knocked his coffee over. Which went all over the floor, the chair, his jacket, and some papers... Embarrassing!
So all in all, we both made fools of ourselves!



A Bridge
Here are a couple of facts about King's College London:
  1. It's apparently the only University campus in the UK with a McDonald's restaurant built in to it.
  2. It's also overlooked by probably the biggest building that I have ever witnessed!

    The massive building!

I enjoyed my trip there, and also the sightseeing afterwards, yet I feel that the fact that KCL is UKCAT entry it has to go slightly lower down on my list of Medical School preferences. Ideally, I wouldn't like to take UKCAT and GAMSAT together.


The view from Millennium Bridge

If you look on my 'Plan' page, you'll see that KCL does make an appearance!


Now, I promise that I'll be back soon with tales about my trips to Leicester and Keele!
xx
Random Shiny Balls in the Street... Ahh London.